25 Dynamics interview questions to ask a candidate, and 3 you should avoid
3 Min Read
Finding the right Dynamics candidate is key to ensuring a high quality delivery for your projects. This list will help you to prepare the right Dynamics interview questions for each of your openings, based on the type of consultant you are looking to hire.
These focused questions are built to help you gather the best insights possible into how well a candidate might do in your role. Its goal is to cover the whole spectrum of the information you need to obtain, while maximising effectiveness by keeping the conversation practical and targeted.
At the end of the article, we’ve also listed a few typical questions which we think are best avoided in a Dynamics interview, and the reasons why it might be best to exclude them from your hiring process.
Motivation and general suitability
It’s a good idea, at the start of your Dynamics interview, to find out how much the candidates want to work for you, and what they think they can bring to your company.
Find out what drives them, what they seem to enjoy the most about their work, and what contribution they believe they can make.
So here we go:
- What attracted you to this particular role/project?
- Why are you looking for a change?
- What do you hope this position will bring you?
- In which direction would you like your career to go within the next few years?
- How would this position fit into your career plan?
- What do you know about our company?
- Which aspects of your skills and experience make you a great fit for the role?
- Which part of this role might be the most challenging for you, and how do you intend to overcome this challenge?
- If you imagine you have this job, what do you think you’ll enjoy the most about it?
Dynamics skills and knowledge
These specific Dynamics interview questions will give you an idea of how knowledgeable your candidates are, how interested they are in their Dynamics product of expertise, whether they keep up with product updates, and how they solve problems in their work.
- Tell me about the latest changes in Dynamics AX/CRM/GP/NAV/365.
- How many Dynamics implementations have you completed?
- What industries do you have experience in?
- Tell me about the biggest challenge you’ve faced in your recent projects and how you overcame it.
For Dynamics functional consultants
- What are your strongest functional skills?
- What skills do you intend on developing next?
- Are there any skills you’ve started developing recently, and what are you doing to increase your knowledge of these new areas?
For Dynamics technical consultants
To assess a consultant’s technical knowledge, rather than specific questions, you need to build a checklist of the technical skills you need your candidates to have.
During the interviews, go through your checklist and ask your candidates to describe their experience in each of the areas you have listed.
The necessary soft skills for the position will depend on the role itself – choose from the below questions as appropriate.
- What are some of the ways you ensure that the customer is satisfied with your services throughout the implementation process?
- Give me an example of a time when a customer was unhappy with the way the implementation was going, and how you solved their issue.
- What kind of tools or support do you provide to your team to ensure that projects are delivered on time and on budget?
- How do you keep your team motivated during a difficult project?
- Tell me about a time when you’ve successfully trained and mentored a junior colleague or team member.
It’s important to remember to ask these during the interview: make sure these details are all clear before you move on to making an offer to a candidate.
- How often are you willing to travel?
- What are your salary expectations?
- If successful, when would you be available to start?
- Do you have any questions for us?
Questions to avoid in a Dynamics interview
- Tell me about yourself.
While the broadness of this question might help you to assess a candidates’ analytical abilities, in practice, most candidates are prepared for this question and will simply provide you with the highlights of their CVs.
You’ll save a lot of time by asking directly what you really want to know and gathering information about specific, relevant skills.
- What is your biggest weakness?
Here is another question for which candidates are usually prepared.
Most of the time, they’ll respond with a weakness-which-isn’t-really-a-weakness, rather than an honest account of what they consider to be a challenge at work.
By asking more specifically about past challenges – or about what they expect might be a challenge when working with you; you’re likely to get a more honest, more relevant answer.
- Where do you see yourself in five years?
The traditional five year career plan is less and less common.
The Dynamics industry is constantly evolving, and new opportunities appear all the time.
It’s a lot more useful to ask about the general direction in which the candidate would like their career to go, or the specific skills they most want to develop next, or the new responsibilities they would like to undertake in the near future.
Subscribe to our Dynamics 365 Newsletter
Stay up to date with Microsoft Dynamics 365 events, webinars, news, jobs, articles and more by subscribing to our bi-weekly newsletter.
365 Talent Portal is the Microsoft Dynamics platform that “has developed the right model to meet today’s demands with openness, transparency, and a focus on adding value.”
Thousands of Consultants have joined us for free Dynamics online training and great jobs. For your Dynamics staffing needs visit 365talentportal.com
Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Call us on +1 415 800 4263 (USA) or +44 2071 931 455 (UK)
What are you looking for?
Choose another language?
Some Popular Posts
- [Webinar] Discover the Dynamics 365 Finance Functional Consultant Career March 16, 2023
- How to create a video to attract candidates March 14, 2023
- Get Your Dynamics 365 Finance Functional Consultant Career Guide March 2, 2023
- Join the New Microsoft Business Apps Conference in Slovenia this May! January 31, 2023
- [WEBINAR] Building a Successful Career in the Microsoft Space January 20, 2023